People, Product, Planet
“Consumers deserve the respect of clear and truthful ingredient labeling”
Creating the purest natural skin, hair, bath and body care products presents special challenges that require an understanding of nature and her gifts, along with knowledge of botany, chemistry and manufacturing to create functional products that are esthetically pleasing and do not pose a threat to the environment.
The use of certified organic ingredients and the demand for organic raw materials as “feed stocks” for organic cosmetic ingredients has contributed to improved soil and environmental conditions worldwide by increasing the usage and replenishment of such materials. This is why we push our vendors to supply organic material whenever possible and ask them to be part of the process of change one chemical at a time.
Aromafloria tries to ensure our products will not only benefit our customers through exceptional performance, but will positively impact the people and economies from which the product’s ingredients are sourced. Aromafloria firmly believes that we will succeed in this effort by striving to use what we call Green Gredients™. These ingredients are derived from 100% natural, renewable, sustainable plant sources and are made with “Green Chemistry” principles that are eco-friendly and safe for our waters and air we breathe. The basis for this call to action is the excessive use of fossil fuel based synthetic chemicals that are used in personal care products. These chemicals are not kind and safe for your body and pose a serious threat to the environment and the various ecosystems within.
The stability and shelf life of a product are necessary to insure that our products stay as fresh as when they are first made. The use of natural and naturally derived green ingredients without the use of synthetics such as parabens, formaldehydes, chlorine or other environmentally harmful ingredients can achieve this. Green Chemistry is the art of formulating with natures ingredients and combining science with nature in an environmentally responsible and sustainable way. The goal is to create renewable green products for today, tomorrow and generations to come without leaving a negative carbon footprint.
“While it's gratifying to be at the forefront of “green chemistry” initiatives, it's more important to contribute in a meaningful way toward the goals of reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and reducing environmental pollutants. This effort is an important step toward achieving those priorities for safer more environmentally friendly ingredients.
Sharon k. Christie
Aromafloria Laboratories looks at the impact our products have on the environment and takes the following into consideration when formulating:
- Maintain a policy where only renewable and sustainable plant and vegetable derived ingredients are used;
Acceptable materials include but are not limited to; “wild crafted” botanicals, essential oils and vegetable oils, natural plant juices, fruit acids, flavor extracts,natural minerals and we make room for hybrid ingredients that we need help from the laboratory to make such as some vitamins and peptides.
- All ingredients must be responsibly sourced and there must be traceability of the ingredients through certificates of origin and organic certifications.
- The impact on the communities which provide these raw materials and their ecosystems.
- The processing of raw materials into the ingredients for our products.
- The impact of the finished product and packaging on people and the environment.
Our GreenGredients™ are one or more of the following:
- Originate from renewable, sustainable, mineral and organic plant-based sources. We do not use animal products or animal by-products.
- Are animal friendly (Aromafloria® does not conduct animal testing on its products and supports the development of alternative methods to animal testing).
- Are primarily naturally derived from 100% plant based renewable and sustainable feed stocks. These ingredients may subsequently be converted to 100% certified organic and used when economically feasible. These materials are manufactured with chemical processes that are environmentally sound and benign with a positive environmental fate.
- Provide fair and socially responsible business to the communities and vendors supplying these materials in a fair-trade manner so they, in turn, will farm more. This helps to protect the environment and helps to bring pricing in line with commercial applications for all markets. This is called a “community practice” and they share equally in the harvest all the way through the supply chain, to you the consumer.
- Require environmentally friendly chemical processes that follow the 12 principles of “Green Chemistry and Engineering”.
- Require human health data for mutagenicity and carcinogenicity.
- Require biodegradation results for materials that are either readily or easily biodegradable.
- Require the vendor community to test for aquatic toxicity and environmental fate.
- Meet the DFE Standard for aquatic toxicity as a minimum.
- Require that packaging materials contain the highest level of post consumer recyclables where possible, are made with renewable raw materials only if they do not compromise human welfare and /or further pollute the waste stream.
- Require energy efficient manufacturing processes that are environmentally safe.